. . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Thursday, April 06, 2006

history of paper

...I realised the other day that I needed to look this up, so I'd know whether to make the paper the stories are written on lined or not or whatever. ^^; So many crazy little details going into this.

A few Google searches later, and it appears blue lined looseleaf has been around since before 1860. Which really surprised me, actually, I figured it only went back about a hundred years. The paper was heavier and more acidic though, when still made with wood pulp.. can't find an exact date on that, but acid-free paper is new enough to still be a selling point on things, I'm pretty sure our photo albums from the '80s weren't acid-free, so.. basically just up the disintegration rate on the older paper, and I think I've an idea of how the older lined paper would've looked.

Wheeeeee~~

2 Comments:

Blogger neo-human said...

Hello again Melissa,
I did a bit of random googling myself on the topic of paper (was curious - and had some spare time) - I'm sure you'd have found this site - and yea, I'd never had thought that blue-lined paper was that old (I was kinda thinking around/post WW2).
Then again, I couldn't help but search this since the history of paper made me even more curious about the subject :P Wondering if acid affected it too :O
O well, enough of random googling for one night.
ciao,
- Raj

10:31 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oddly enough, I hadn't landed on that particular site, thanks!

lmao yeah I'm surprised I didn't wander off onto that tangent as well.. can't imagine using those sticks. ow. ^^;;;

Random googling is like my lifeblood, I find the greatest strangest stuff... after all this time, I'm still in awe of the seemingly endless variety of information. We just found *pages* on the history of freakin' *paper*. My boyfriend couldn't remember how to tie a tie, and I wanted to learn, so I googled and found a whole tie-a-tie.net! (and there is no reason why ties should be that complicated, good lord.)

Thanks again for the link! (and yay that someone's reading my blog! I swear I'm the only one in my class who posts or reads, aside from when our professor commands it..)

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


. . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
My Photo
Name:Melissa Antes
Location:Fredonia, New York, United States
on a more positive note...
the failure of the educational system
the world is ending
Artist Statement
Audio Update
virtual worlds
link day!
the wonders of artistic bullshit
A Small Bit of Progress
Schedule

beneath the dust (novel)
meda495
exp vid - an angel hits the ground
emulsion01
***stardust
my livejournal
Desert Songs
Blogger